Saturday, March 16, 2013

How to make perfect Italian meringue buttercream



If someone were to ask me, which was my favorite frosting in the WORLD...I would hands down, choose a non dairy whipped cream frosting! It's light, airy, and not too sweet! But the problem with that is, if you plan on doing more detailed work, you would need a good buttercream frosting to hold it's shape better. American buttercream is waaaay too sweet for my own taste, but this Italian meringue buttercream recipe is AMAZING! Not too sweet but silky and smooth, and also pipes really well! I hope you guys enjoy this recipe because it's definitely a favorite of mine!

If any of you are interested in the basket weave cake design that I used in the photos above, please look up my "how to make a basket weave cake" blog post! I used this Italian meringue buttercream recipe, to pipe out the design on the cake!

Love,
Sav


Ingredients for sugar syrup:
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of water

Ingredients for the meringue:
5 extra large room temperature egg whites
1/4 cup of sugar
3 1/2 sticks of softened butter(I use 2 sticks of unsalted and 1 1/2 sticks of salted)
1 tsp of lemon juice extract POWDER(can be found on www.KingArthurflour.com)
1 tsp of vanilla extract(optional)

Additional items needed:
Stand mixer and candy thermometer

Make the sugar syrup by boiling your water with your sugar until it reaches 245. I use a small pot and set it over medium heat. Don't forget to place your candy thermometer in there. As it cooks, begin making your meringue.

Beat your egg whites in a stand mixer on HIGH until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup of sugar. Continue to beat until medium to stiff peaks. Turn off mixer if your sugar syrup is not ready yet.

With your mixer on HIGH, slowly pour in your hot sugar syrup in a steady stream. Continue to beat for 10-12 minutes, or until your mixing bowl is cool to the touch. Add in 2 sticks of butter first(a Tablespoon at a time) and then add in 1 teaspoon of lemon juice extract powder. Add in the rest of your butter and beat until fluffy. Add in 1 tsp of vanilla extract(optional).

Notes:
If you add in your butter before your mixing bowl is cool to the touch, your buttercream will look like a soupy mess! But don't fret my friends! Just keep beating on HIGH as you add in your butter, and it will all come back together in the end, I PROMISE! :)

Be sure to watch my video below on how to make the perfect Italian meringue buttercream! :)

24 comments:

  1. Is there a substitution that can be used for the lemon extract powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try adding in a little bit of lemon juice at the very end. You can also omit the lemon powder altogether...I add it in to take away some of the sweetness, but most people will probably like it, as is. :)

      Delete
  2. How much buttercream will this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I'm not sure. Lol. It's enough to frost and fill a two layer, 8 inch round?? :)

      Delete
  3. how long does it last on a decorated cupcake before it falls or looses consistency because of the eggwhites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it at room temp for 6 hours and it still kept it's consistency.

      Delete
  4. What is the best cake frosting in the summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Italian meringue, Swiss meringue, or good ol' American buttercream.

      Delete
  5. how much time its good to be in a refreeze?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Silvia. I'm sorry but I've never frozen Italian meringue buttercream before so your guess is as good as mine. Lol.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I know the butter you used in gram?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to try this recipe! However, I have a sensitive stomach so I'm slightly skeptical of the raw egg whites. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sugar syrup is so hot it actually cooks the egg whites, so they are not raw

      Delete
  9. What is the difference between Italian Meringue and Swiss Meringue buttercream?

    ReplyDelete
  10. About how long after you have incorporated the butter(s) do you stop beating?

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1/4 cup of cocoa or melted chocolate will make it chocolate italian meringue buttercream. You add it at the very end

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there, how much melted chocolate I should add?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is cream of tartar should be added on this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to make this a chocolate buttercream. I see add 1/4 cup cocoa. Assuming it's unsweetened?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is the cup 200 ml or 250 ml capacity?
    What is a weight of butter? In Poland butter stick is 200g. Ho many butter should I use?

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD