Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Spicy Summer Mango Salad



Mango salad is just perfect for a nice and sunny day like today... but then again, ANYTHING over 50 degrees is NICE here in Washington. Birds are chirping, the sun is shining, and if you drive down to the Tacoma Waterfront, you can catch a glimpse of women in tight booty shorts, sporting sunglasses with a G logo on them(G for GUESS not GUCCI), pushing their strollers, on a man hunt for perspective baby daddies. Ah, yes, that's when you know...SUMMER HAS ALMOST ARRIVED.

I know some people like to make mango salad the same way that you would make papaya salad, but come on now, if I wanted papaya salad then I would MAKE PAPAYA SALAD, right? This side dish is easy, breezy, and tastes wonderful on a hot day cause it's so fresh and definitely satisfying.

You will need:

2 pds of green mango sliced julienne( I used 3 green mangos for this recipe)
2 carrots sliced julienne 
2-3 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup of chopped green onion(more for garnish)
Chopped fresh chili to taste( I used 4 of them cause I like it spicy)
1/4 cup of chives cut into 1-1/2 inch strips
1 1/2 T of fish sauce
1/2 tsp of salt
1 T of sugar
2 T of water

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and refrigerate for 1 hr. Taste check and see if it's to your liking. I actually ended up adding a few more pinches of sugar but that's my own personal preference. Tastes great with most fish dishes like the recipe I posted on here or with baked/fried fish. I like to eat it plain sometimes with just rice and it's still good! Also feel free to add fresh herbs if you have it like cilantro, parsley, or mint. 

Notes: You can find most julienne peelers at some supermarkets and Asian markets. My julienne peeler is stainless steel and is manufactured by Kuhn Rikon which I purchased from Amazon.com.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Designed with love by BDD