Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Lemongrass and Ginger Stir Fried Crab(Cha Kdam)




Ingredients:

2 FRESH dungeness crabs, cleaned and cut into manageable pieces(my butcher did mine for me)
1 Tbsp of cornstarch
1 stalk of lemongrass, trimmed and finely chopped
3 cloves of chopped garlic
1 small shallot, finely chopped
8 scallions cut into 1 1/2  inch pieces
2 Tbsp of water
Peanut oil

For the sauce:

2 Tbsp of crab soybean paste in oil
1/2 Tbsp of sesame oil
1 Tbsp of good fish sauce(I like the three crabs brand)
1 Tbsp of good oyster sauce(like Lee Kum Kee)
1 Tbsp of sugar
2 tsp of freshly grated ginger

Here's a picture of the crab paste in soybean oil.



This paste is also used in a very popular Vietnamese noodle dish called Bun Rieu. I will post a recipe on that one in the future as well! The brand I used in the video is the only one sold at the Hmart near my house but if you can find the canned ones, those taste even better! Here's one of my favorites and it's actually "minced prawns in spices" and it comes in a little can. SOOOO GOOD!!



Using a nut cracker(or the back of a heavy knife), gently crack your crab claws. This will make sure that they cook evenly with the little crab legs and also makes it easier for you to remove the shells while eating. Coat the crab with cornstarch and set aside. Next make your sauce with ingredients listed above, and set aside. Then with your wok on medium high heat, add in your chopped shallot and cook for 1 minute. Throw in your lemongrass and cook for about 2 minutes. Now, add in your chopped garlic and cook until fragrant. Pour in your sauce mixture and mix well. Add in your coated crabs and toss to coat. Cover with lid and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove lid, stir, and add in your scallions along with 2 Tbsp. of water. Stir again, cover, and cook until crab meat is opaque. Stir often, being careful not to burn the sauce on the bottom of the pan. Serve immediately with a side of white rice!

7 comments:

  1. Oh this look absolutely scrumptious. I love Asian style crab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this like 8 months ago while i was pregnant and craving for cambodian stir fry crab. Girl, it was delicious! My mom don't live near me to make cambodian food for me every day. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks soo tempting.. I cant wait to make this ! Can I replace this with soft shell crab ? or If i m using blue swimmer can I fry them first? please let me know

    ReplyDelete
  4. if i'm going to use the minced prawns, do i still use 2tbsp of it in place of 2tbsp of crab paste?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many tablespoons of the minced lemongrass would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg!!!!! I was looking at the ingredients and was salivating. I picked up some live Dungeness crabs and had them chopped into quarters. I added ginger sliced like matchsticks because I’m crazy about ginger. I also sliced up some Serrano peppers and added with green scallions. Perfect heat and flavor was out for his world!! I paired with jasmine rice and Ong Choi stir fried in garlic and oyster sauce. I didn’t get a picture it went that fast.

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD