Thursday, June 13, 2013

Homemade Pho

photo

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure that all I need to survive is my hair straightener and pho. I can assure you that even in 90 degree weather, you can catch me in my kitchen hovering over my stove cooking up a big pot of pho. Since I married into a Vietnamese family, I figured that it would probably be a good idea to teach myself how to make it. This recipe feeds my family of 5 for 2-3 days depending on how often we eat it. Remember, that you may cut recipe in half or just use it as a reference. I actually used 3 pounds or so of beef bone in this recipe along w/ one whole foster farm chicken. If you think it's weird to make a broth with that mix, you don't have to do it. You can use all beef bones if you'd like, or all chicken. Whatever your preference, I assure you that it will all come out delicious!

You will need:

1 whole 3-4 pd skinned foster farm chicken(cut up chicken into large manageable pieces)or you may use all beef bone/knuckle for this recipe as well

3 pds of beef bone and/or beef knuckle

3 pound pkg of beef bottom round roast(use only if you want cooked beef slices)or you may sub w/oxtail

2 pkgs of beef meatballs

1 4 inch piece of ginger split in half

2 large onions cut in half(DO NO PEEL SKIN)

1 1/2 T. of coriander

1 tsp. whole cloves

2 cardamom pods split

2 cinnamon sticks

1 handful of star anise

2/3 cup of fish sauce

1 1/2 T. salt

3 oz. of palm sugar or 1/4 cp of sugar

1/2 tsp of msg(optional)

3 pkgs of fresh rice noodle

2 cheese cloths for straining broth

12 qt. stainless steel pot and an extra pot to parboil your bones

26 cups of water(or fill up halfway but remember you may cut recipe in half)

1 Stainless steel tea balls or mesh vegetable bags to hold all the spices for easier clean up

Garnishes:

Bean sprout

Mint

Lime wedges

Thinly sliced onion(soak onion in ice water for 30 min and drain)

Lime wedges

Chopped green onion

You want to roast your onion and ginger in the oven. Bake @ 400 degrees for 30 minutes. If you have an open burner, then you should preferably char the onion and ginger over an open flame, turning occasionally until slightly blackened.

Take a pot big enough for all your meat,(except for bottom round roast)add enough water to cover and bring them to a boil for about 8-10 minutes or so. This step is for cleaning your bones and it will help you to get a clearer broth. While that pot is coming to a boil, get your other 12 qt pot ready and fill it half way(about 26 cps). Unless, you want to wait FOREVER AND A DAY for a big stock pot of water packed with meat and bones to boil, then you can skip this part. Otherwise having two pots going at a time will save you a butt load of pho'cken time(pun intended).

Once chicken and/or beef bone is done parboiling, dump it into a large colander in sink and lightly rinse off bones under cool water.

Since you should have another pot of water almost coming to boil, carefully add the bones/meat into the pot of water. This is also the time where you would add in the bottom round roast. When making this pot of pho, I didn't quite measure how much water I added, just make sure that after you've added all the meat in, that the pot is pretty much filled with water 3/4 way up. Feel free to take some water out if there is too much. Add in the char broiled ginger and onion. Add in fish sauce, palm sugar,salt(and msg if you're opting to use it), cinnamon sticks, and a big handful of star anise.

Put the other spices listed, into 1 stainless steel tea ball or mesh bags and drop them into the the pot. Make sure you remove that chain that comes along with the tea ball.

Now all that's left is leaving it all to simmer on low heat for 3 hrs. You know you've done it right when the pot looks disgusting and greasy.

Skim off fat as you go along trying to only take out what you need. Sometimes, if I feel like I'm taking out too much water along with the fat, then I will add more water to compensate.

After the broth has been simmering for 2 hrs I then taste the broth to see if I need to add any additional seasonings. Remove your beef bottom roast(if using) and allow to rest on cutting board before slicing against the grain. Keep in mind that this recipe uses chicken instead of all beef bone which means less fat, so if you decide to use more beef bone and/or oxtail, your broth will be very greasy at first, so make sure you use your ladle to skim off any fat that rises to the surface and add more water to pot if necessary. Also note, that you want the broth slightly stronger tasting cause once you add the noodles and garnishes it will bring down the flavor a tad bit. I usually make a small bowl for myself to taste check before serving to guests.

Once it's seasoned to your liking and has been simmering for at least 3 hrs, remove all bones and meat and place into colander over a large bowl.

Place two cheese cloths over a mesh strainer fitted on top of a pot and slowly strain the broth until done.

Now that your broth is pretty again and smells FANTASTIC, you can add in the beef meatballs if you opted for them and bring to a slight boil until the balls are cooked through(they will puff up when they are almost ready).

Using a very sharp knife, thinly slice your bottom round roast against the grain. Also don't forget to shred the meat off of the chicken that you had set aside. This is a very crucial step when using beef bone with tons of meat on it and ESPECIALLY OXTAIL! Right before you pour the broth into your bowl, is when you would toss in a couple of pieces of this delicious and tender meat!

You can also use raw, thinly sliced sirloin steak if you wish. To make slicing easier and to ensure thin cuts of meat, put meat in freezer for 30 min. and then slice.

Assembling the bowls: Place blanched rice noodles(or if using dry noodles, follow directions on package)in individual bowls and top with thinly cooked beef slices. If you are adding raw beef slices, the broth must be boiling to cook it through before you ladle the soup into the bowl. If the broth is not quite boiling but VERY HOT, than you can cook the meat by quickly dipping it into the pho broth using the ladle(it should take seconds). Once you've added the broth into the bowl, top with the garnishes of your choice and....VOILA!!!

Notes: The spices used in pho can get pretty pricey if you purchase them at your local Safeway, Fred Meyers or wherever you shop. If you know of a local Asian market or know someone that can get to one, I would highly recommend you go there cause it is waaaaay more inexpensive BELIEVE ME!
Also the type of fish sauce you use matters!! Don't use the ones that come in the plastic bottles...YUCKY! Use the ones that come in the glass bottles instead. There are various brands and most of them are very similar in taste.
Lastly, if you're using all beef bones and oxtails, the longer you simmer the broth the better! But I wouldn't recommend simmering chicken for longer then 3 to 4 hrs cause it will get VERY GELATINOUS after cooled and it will not look too appetizing when you're trying to reheat it. Feel free to add in any fixings to satisfy your taste buds! You can add all kinds of stuff to pho...tripe,shrimp,flank stank(I mean steak):),or even beef tendon. Whatever your palette, pho is always a real crowd pleaser!

I posted this recipe on my blog MONTHS before I started my Youtube channel so it differs slightly than the video. The spices, and the amount of meat I used DID NOT CHANGE, so feel free to use and follow the recipe listed w/ a few minor adjustments as stated in the video! If you want a healthier alternative than follow the written recipe for pho using chicken as the base but if you want a full bodied and tastier pho experience, than follow my video where I use all beef bones/oxtails and let it simmer for up to 8 hrs! ENJOY AND HAPPY EATING!! :)

14 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call a list of ingredients! My kind of recipe :-)
    I love pho and will definitely be making this soon! My blogs first restaurant review was for pho!
    Thanks for recipe and the vid on YouTube too with link back to this page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad you found me! Let me know how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are those 2 cinnamon sticks the Chinese type or the western type you would find at a coffee shop like Starbucks?

    Where would one buy 2 cardamom pods split? This isn't a normal herb sold at supermarkets

    Thanks for recipe :)


    I was told soaking anise star in Sherry for 3+ months actually makes the Pho even better, but I haven't even tried a first batch yet

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can purchase cinnamon sticks at most grocery chains in the spices aisles but it is definitely much cheaper at an Asian market. I purchase cardamom pods at an American grocery store and then I split them or open them up myself. Lol. Soaking star anise in sherry for 3 months? Wow, that sounds really strong! Lol. I might need to look into that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed your video and recipe to make pho but ended up with a few issues. It definitely did not look like yours.

    1. Somehow in the end, when I felt the broth was aromatic and flavorful enough, I only ended up with 1.5 bowls of broth.

    2.I parboiled the bones but the broth was still cloudy in the end.

    3. I could not find any cardamom pods so I skipped that ingredient. Does that make a big difference in the broth's flavour?

    Any tips? Thanks so much! love your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As stated in the recipe and the video, I added additional water a few times to compensate for skimming off additional fat. How much broth you have at the end, will depend on how much more water you add during the cooking process. And of course, you would need to adjust seasoning as needed. If you skim off most of the fat and parboil it should not be cloudy. But also keep in mind that if you use all beef bones and oxtails, the broth will get darker the longer you boil it. Cardamom is a great addition to pho. I think it gives a wonderful aroma and adds wonderful flavor to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I moved away from home 12 years ago. I've been trying just as long to replicate my mom's recipe and I have finally found it!

    Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Pho instructions are fantastic.I'd sggest tossing the onion & ginger in hot coals (BBQ charcoal) so they are charred,then scraping off all charred skin. Is is a tad sexist to say I think you're mega smart & sexy? Beautiful and intelligent definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Brian. Thanks for the tip! I will keep that in mind the next time I make pho! And thank you for the kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tried this recipe and it is awesome! So flavorful and complex. Thanks so much for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So i removed the bottom roast after 5 hours of simerring?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Louie. The recipe says to remove the bottom roast after 2 hours and the rest after 3 more for optimal flavor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I am going to try this now... wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Makin this Sunday for an international dinner party at a friends house.. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD